Choose the home builder or renovation contractor or other professional who appears best to do the work: here are some guidelines: What kind of Home Renovation Professional do you need?
- Specialty renovation contractor: specializing in kitchens or bathrooms or sunrooms or windows, environmental sensitivities, energy conservation, etc.
- Design/build renovation contractor: contracts for large projects and provides both design with drawings before costing, and construction.
- Trade contractor: electricians, roofers, plumbers, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) installers, etc., for specific work like installing a new furnace or rewiring the home.
- Retailer associated contractors: contractors associated with retailers like kitchen and bathroom stores who will install the store’s products once you choose them from the retail showroom (or you can do it yourself.)
- Designers and architects: before construction, you may need professionals to assist you with plans and to prepare working drawings and specifications.
- These designers and architects can work with your renovation or building contractor.
- Home inspectors: a third party inspector, properly qualified with references and warranty documentation, may be hired to assess your home and plans before you hire a construction contractor.